Happy Hips! (Part 2)
Seated glute and hip stretch: Sit tall in your chair, feet hip-width apart, toes facing front, feet firmly on the floor. Cross your right ankle over the your left knee, making sure your left foot remains in its original position.
Flex your right foot and try to gently lower your right knee so it is parallel with the floor (skip this step if it bothers your knee). Gently lean forward, leading with your chest so your back stays straight, until you feel a stretch in the right hip and glute.
Hold for 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
- Seated lunge: Sit slightly sideways on the edge of your chair so that your right hip is off the edge. Slide your right foot back into a lunge position, lowering your right knee so that it is close to the floor. Your right knee should be in a 90-degree angle with the floor, with your right knee below your right hip. Your left foot should stay firmly planted on the floor.
- Squeeze your glutes and hold for 30 seconds. You should feel a good stretch in your right hip flexor. Repeat on other side.
- Standing quadriceps/hip stretch:Stand on your left leg, holding onto a chair, counter or wall for support if necessary.
- Bend your right knee up behind you, bringing your right heel toward your butt. Reach toward your ankle with your hand (note: if you can’t do this, you can use a towel or yoga strap to assist).
- Standing tall, brace your abs and squeeze your glute muscles, feeling a stretch along the front part of your leg (your quads) and in your hip flexor. Hold for 20 to 30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
Are you in for this week’s challenge!? Let me know in a comment below and be sure to let us know how you feel afterwards!