Healthy Eating & Leaning out:
- Eat a meal or a snack every 2-3 hours to keep your blood sugar level, energy and mood stable.
- Protein is required at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- One serving of protein ranges between 15-25 grams for females; 25-40 grams for males.
- For example, 1 piece of chicken is equivalent to 20 grams of protein.
- Consume plenty of salads and vegetables.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates (white bread, white rice and white pasta).
- These foods do not contain any nutrient value or fiber and they easily store as fat.
- Choose complex carbohydrates (sweet potato and brown rice).
- These foods are rich in nutrients and fiber and provide long lasting energy.
- Include a complex carbohydrate at 1-2 meal(s) per day.
- It is best to eat your carbohydrates earlier in the day (breakfast and/or lunch).
- Carbohydrates can be cycled:
(ie. day 1 eat 1 serving of carbohydrates, day 2 eat 2 servings of carbohydrates).
- One serving of carbohydrates ranges between 15-20 grams for females; 20-40 grams for males.
- For example, ½ cup cooked brown rice is equivalent to 20 grams of carbohydrates.
- Fruit intake should not exceed 2 servings per day (1 piece or ½ – 1 cup).
- Limit bananas, grapes, mangoes and papayas. Choose berries.
- Avoid fruit with and after a main meal that contains animal protein as this will cause gas and bloating.
- Eat fruit ½ hour before a meal or 2-3 hours after a meal.
- Drink 8-10 cups of water/herbal tea per day.
- Avoid with meals.
- Drink bottled or filtered water.
- The following chart outlines breakfast options.
- Each breakfast MUST include one protein and optional to include a carbohydrate.
- You can choose from the breakfast options below or
mix and match the carbohydrates and proteins.
- Portion for females: 15-20 grams of carbohydrates, 15-25 grams of protein per serving.
- Portion for males: 20-40 grams of carbohydrates, 25-40 grams of protein per serving.
|Carbohydrate:||1 serving of oats or quinoa flakes(add berries and cinnamon to sweeten)||sprouted whole grain bread||whole grain cereal||Recommended brand for bread: Stone millRecommended brand for cereal: Kashi|
|Protein:||Whey or pea protein powder:-add to oats or quinoa flakes-protein shake smoothie||egg plus egg whitesoregg whites||plain low fat yogurt|
|Additional Notes:||-use unsweetened almond milk for shakes||optional to add to bread:-1 tablespoon nut butter/apple butter||-use unsweetened almond milk for cereal-optional to add fruit to yogurt|
- Include one of the following snacks in between meals.
- Depending on your schedule, you will need 2-3 snacks per day.
- When travelling, pack protein bars and nuts/seeds.
|fruit with nuts||Nuts:almonds, brazil,pecans, cashews,walnuts||10-15 for females15-20 for males||-no salt or oil added|
|fruit with nut butter||Nut butter:almond, cashew, sunflower, pumpkin,hazelnut||maximum 2 tablespoons per day||-apples and pears combine well with nut butters|
|veggies with dip||Dips:hummus, tzatziki,guacamole||maximum 2 tablespoons per day||-celery, peppers, cucumber combine well with dips|
|protein bar||Protein Fusion, Carb Rite||-high in protein and low in carbohydrates|
|protein shake||Whey or Yellow pea Protein||mix with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk|
|yogurt or cottage cheese||Plain, low fat||Optional to add fruit and/or nuts|
Lunch & Dinner Options:
- Include a salad and/or vegetables with lunch and dinner
- Include a serving of protein at lunch and dinner
- Optional to include a carbohydrate at lunch
Lunch & Dinner Options
Salad & Vegetables
|-romaine-spinach-arugula-red leaf-green leaf
|-chicken breast-turkey breast-fresh fish
-½-1 can of tuna packed in water
-½-1 can of salmon
-1 can of sardines packed in water
-extra lean ground chicken
-extra lean ground turkey
-extra lean ground beef
-egg plus egg whites or egg whites
|-brown rice-wild rice-sweet potato
1 cob corn
-whole grain pasta
-whole grain wrap
|-1 tbsp olive oilor less(salad dressing and for cooking)-2 tablespoons or less of cheese
-2 tablespoons or less of dip
|-limit pasta for fat loss-eat leaner cuts of meat such as chicken breast, tuna, egg whites-add lemon or apple cider vinegar to olive oil for salad dressing|
|Serving Size (cooked if applicable)||Unlimited portion||Female: 4 ounces cookedMale: 6-8 ounces cooked||Female: ½ cup cookedMale: 1 cup cooked|